Spray paint is a versatile tool in DIY projects and home improvement. Whether you’re giving new life to old furniture, adding a touch of elegance to décor items, or tackling outdoor projects, the choice of spray paint can make a significant difference.
I recently used Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint for a DIY project involving some metal garden ornaments. In this review, I’ll share with you how was my experience.
Also, I’ll take a closer look at Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint to help you determine if it’s the right choice for your next project. So, let’s get started!
Disclosure ------------------------ I purchased Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint for personal use and I don't take any commission for this review. I am sharing my experience of using it to inform spray paint DIYers and lovers about it. This comprehensive product review is written to inform potential buyers about the performance and qualities of Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint and help them make an informed decision about Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray for their next project.
Overview of the Rust Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint
Rust-Oleum 340647 Specialty Metallic Spray Paint is a high-quality spray paint that can be used to create a rich, metallic finish on various surfaces, including wood, metal, plaster, masonry, and unglazed ceramic. The paint is made with real metal leafing flakes, which give it a super shiny, reflective finish.
Specialty Metallic Leafing Spray Paint
11 Ounce (Pack of 6)
12 sq ft
Specific Uses For Product
Metal, Ceramic, Masonry, Wood
Age Range (Description)
8.4 x 5.7 x 8.4 inches
Included Components & Number Of Pieces
(6) Spray Paint
Item Package Quantity
Reviews of the Rust Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint
The Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint stands out as a reliable choice for those seeking to add a touch of glamour to their projects. With its rich metallic finish, versatility, and quick-drying formula, it has garnered positive reviews from users.
Here are the features of the Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint with insights to help you make an informed decision.
01. Performance and Durability
After several months of outdoor exposure, the Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint has held up remarkably well. There’s been no chipping or peeling, and the color hasn’t faded despite being exposed to sun and rain. It’s safe to say that it’s living up to its promise of durability.
02. Color Accuracy
The actual color closely matched the product’s label, providing a true metallic gold finish. However, keep in mind that the surface you apply the paint to can influence the final color, so proper surface preparation is essential for color accuracy.
03. Value for Money
Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint is priced in the mid-range for spray paints of its type. Considering its excellent coverage and durability, it’s a great value for the cost. You won’t need to buy as much paint since a little goes a long way.
04. My Usage Experience
I recently used Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint for a DIY project involving some metal garden ornaments. Here’s how my experience went:
- Application: Applying the spray paint was straightforward. The nozzle sprayed evenly, which allowed for smooth and consistent coverage. I was able to coat my metal garden ornaments with just one application.
- Challenges: While the application was generally smooth, I noticed that the paint tended to drip a little if I applied it too thickly. Therefore, it’s important to apply thin, even coats to avoid drips.
- Coverage and Consistency: The coverage was impressive. With just one coat, the gold color appeared vibrant and metallic, as advertised. I didn’t need to apply multiple coats to achieve the desired finish.
- Drying Time: The paint dried relatively quickly, within 15-20 minutes. However, it’s worth noting that it takes longer to fully cure and reach maximum durability. I waited 24 hours before touching the painted surface.
- Odors: The paint did produce some fumes, so I recommend using it in a well-ventilated area or wearing a mask to minimize exposure to odors.
- Excellent coverage with a single coat
- True metallic gold finish
- Durable and long-lasting
- Good value for the price
- Potential for dripping if applied too thickly
- Odors during application
07. User Ratings and Reviews
"The gold color is perfect. I spray painted some foam roses and they look great!"
October 26, 2023
"True gold color and not too glossy. Will buy again."
October 21, 2023
"Sprayed some stuff I needed for arts and crafts and didn't expect it to look good but it really had a great color. Unlike another brand I’m happy with it"
October 9, 2023
"Finally, the color gold I was looking for! I looked for/sampled quite a few different brands, and shades of gold. I gave up and settled for something that wasn't quite right. 2 thumbs up to Amazon for sending a message about a paint I might have been interested in! It took a few delays to get here but well worth the wait."
October 4, 2023
"This doesn't come out as shiny as I wanted. If you want shiny silver get Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Metallic Chrome spray instead."
October 10, 2023
How do you Apply Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint?
Applying Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint is a straightforward process, but following the correct steps is crucial to achieving the best results. Here are the steps on how to use Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint:
- Surface preparation: Clean the surface to be painted and make sure it is free of dirt, grease, and moisture. If the surface is porous, such as wood or plaster, you may want to prime it first to help the paint adhere better.
- Protection: Cover any areas that you do not want to paint with newspaper or drop cloths.
- Ventilation: Work in a well-ventilated area, such as outdoors or in a garage with the door open.
- Shake the can well: Shake the can of spray paint for at least one minute before you start spraying.
- Test spray: Spray a small amount of paint on a scrap piece of material to test the color and coverage.
- Hold the can correctly: Hold the can about 10-12 inches away from the surface to be painted.
- Apply even coats: Apply light, even coats of paint, making sure to overlap each pass slightly.
- Multiple coats: Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next.
- Recoat timing: Apply the second coat within 1 hour of applying the first coat.
How long does Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint Take to Dry?
Rust-Oleum 340647 Specialty Metallic Spray Paint takes 15 minutes to dry to the touch and 1 hour to cure fully. This means that you can recoat the paint within 1 hour of applying the first coat. After the paint has fully cured, you can handle objects without worrying about the paint smudging or rubbing off.
Here is a more detailed breakdown of the drying time:
- Dry to touch: 15 minutes
- Recoat time: 1 hour
- Full cure time: 24 hours
Please note that these are just estimates, and the actual drying time may vary depending on the humidity and temperature of the environment. It is always best to err on the side of caution and allow the paint to fully cure before handling objects.
Does Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold Spray Paint Need a Clear Coat?
No, Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint does not need a clear coat. It is a self-sealing paint, which means that it has a built-in protective layer that will prevent the paint from fading or chipping. In fact, applying a clear coat to this paint may dull the finish.
Here are some additional reasons why you should not use a clear coat with Rust-Oleum spray paint:
- The clear coat may not adhere properly to the metallic paint.
- The clear coat may make the paint look less metallic.
- The clear coat may become yellow over time, making the paint look old and worn.
If you are concerned about protecting your project, you can read our another article Which is Better for Your Project Or apply a wax or polish to the paint after it has fully cured. This will help to protect the paint from scratches and other damage.
Additional Tips and Suggestions
For the best results with Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint, consider the following:
- Apply thin, even coats to prevent dripping.
- Use it in a well-ventilated area or wear a mask to minimize exposure to odors.
- Ensure proper surface preparation for accurate color results.
Rust-Oleum 340647 Metallic Gold spray paint is an impressive choice for those looking to add a touch of elegance and glamour to their projects. It delivers on its promises of coverage, color accuracy, and durability. While you need to be cautious about application thickness and the odors it produces, these are relatively minor drawbacks compared to its many advantages.
I highly recommend this spray paint for a wide range of DIY and home improvement projects. Feel free to share your own experiences with this product in the comment section and ask any questions you may have. Happy painting!
Henry Jackson, a seasoned writer and spray painting enthusiast, is the creative force behind the influential blog. His blog(https://spraypaintsart.com/) is a treasure trove of spray painting techniques, tips, and tricks, catering to both beginners and enthusiasts. Henry’s in-depth knowledge, commitment to quality content, and a touch of creativity make his blog the ultimate resource for exploring the transformative power of spray painting. With Henry Jackson blog (https://spraypaintsart.com/) is your gateway to a world of color and inspiration.